Sticky, sweet and salty, teriyaki chicken is one of those dishes that is hard to pass. Packed full of flavour, it is also very easy to make at home! It has only 5 ingredients and super easy to whip up. Pair with a bowl of steaming rice and some sauteed broccoli and you've got a perfect meal. Try adding this in rice paper rolls (summer rolls) - super delicious.
Mirin is a type of rice wine that's quite sweet and with low alcohol content. Think of it as a slightly alcoholic sugar syrup.
Mirin substitute: if you don't have mirin on hand, for 3 tablespoon of mirin, replace with 1 tablespoon of shaoxing wine and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. It'll taste just as good. 😉
Marinating the chicken
This may sound super simple but it's so important to marinate the chicken and for at least 30 minutes. Marinating the chicken will ensure it is tender, juicy and packed full of flavour!
If you're in a rush or just simply starving, at least marinate for 15 minutes. A little time is better than none at all. It really makes a difference.
Cooking chicken thighs whole
I like cooking the chicken thighs whole and slice once it is cooked.
This will ensure the teriyaki chicken stay juicy. Also, make sure to sear the chicken first on both sides before adding the reserved marinade and simmer until cooked (about 5 minutes).
Tips for making this great
- Searing the chicken first helps seal the meat and thus stopping moisture from escaping during the cooking process.
- Searing just means cooking meat on high heat until brown.
- Browning the meat also adds additional flavour.
As tempting as it is to immediately tuck in, make sure to rest the meat for about 10 minutes before cutting! Resting the chicken will allow the juices to stay in the chicken (like you would rest steaks, roasts, etc).
This recipe makes enough delicious teriyaki chicken sauce to drizzle on many bowls of rice. I can just eat a bowl of rice with some of this sauce on its own anyday!
- 500 g chicken thighs boneless, about 3 large thighs
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon mirin (see note 1)
- ½ tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoon oil neutral tasting oil like canola or sunflower
- Combine soy sauce, mirin, ginger in a large bowl and mix well.
- Mix in chicken and marinate for at least 30 minutes. (see note 2)
- When ready to cook, add oil into a hot heavy-based pan on high heat.
- Sear chicken thighs on both sides until brown (around 2 minutes on each side).
- Pour reserved marinade into the pan, lid on and turn the heat down to low and simmer for about 4 - 5 minutes until chicken is cooked.
- Serve with a bowl of steamed rice and some sauteed broccoli.
Other great Asian dishes
- Chinese broccoli (gai lan) with shiitake mushrooms - better than ones at yum cha! Shiitake mushrooms here is a GAME CHANGER!
- Ginger beef and kale - learn how to tenderise cheap cuts of beef and make it sing
- Chicken noodle stir fry - quick, easy and simple. Great healthy meal done in less than 30min
- Pan-fried dumplings - cripsy at the bottom, juicy filling on the inside. Using the classic (and for great reasons) pork and cabbage filling combo.