This is my absolute favourite way of eating prawns! The flavour when you cook with garlic, butter and a squeeze of lemon is just incredible. This butter garlic prawns (shrimp) recipe is simple, easy and super quick to make!
If you're a fan of prawns, try my easy garlic prawn pasta recipe! It's really delicious plus takes 15 minutes to make! Talk about minimal effort and maximum benefits! A great quick weeknight dinner idea in my books.
I like to use RAW, UNPEELED PRAWNS because once cooked, they come out JUICIER, more PLUMP more FLAVOURFUL than cooking peeled prawns.
Deveining prawns (shimp)
First thing, give prawns a quick rinse and if you've got the patience, devein the prawns. The VEINS WITHIN PRAWNS ARE NOT HARMFUL TO CONSUME and really, it's just up to personal preferences and aesthetics.
When I do devein prawns, I use the toothpick method. I dont have a video to show you here however you can find plenty of demo videos just by googling 'how to devein prawns / shrimp'.
Step by step instructions
- STEP 1 In a large pan on medium / high heat , add minced garlic, olive oil and butter. Once the butter has melted and garlic deliciously fragrant, add the prawns.
- STEP 2 Squeeze in lemon fresh lemon juice, season with salt and lots of pepper (for some added heat). Turn the prawns a couple of times until cooked.
Prawns cook very quickly. In this recipe, I used medium-sized banana prawns and that took about 3 - 4 minutes to cook. Larger prawns would require longer cooking time. About 5 - 7 minutes, depending on size.
Handy tips to know about prawns (shrimp)
- You can tell pawns are cooked and ready when they start to curl up into a loose "C" shape, the flesh is no longer translucent and shells have turned bright red.
- Cooking time is dependent on the size of prawns.
- Deveining prawns before cooking is optional and veins are not harmful to eat
It's important not to overcook prawns. The flesh toughens and becomes rubbery. So keep both eyes on your prawns the entire time your cooking!
Other quick and easy dishes you might like
- Puff pastry 'pizza' - a cheats way of making pizza that's light, flaky and so easy to make!
- Easy garlic prawn pasta - for lovers of prawns and pasta
- Teriyaki chicken - pair it with rice and some Asian greens or add it in rice paper rolls, you'll love it.
Hope you enjoy this super easy butter garlic shrimp recipe! Any thoughts or questions, let me know in the comment section below. 🙂
Butter garlic shrimp
- 300 g raw, unpeeled prawns medium-sized
- 30 g butter about a knob
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- a squeeze of fresh lemon juice about 1 tbsp
- salt & pepper
- Give prawns a quick rinse under the tap and drain well. (see note 1)
- In a hot frying pan, on medium / high heat, add garlic, butter and olive oil.
- Once the butter has melted and garlic fragrant, add prawns and season with salt and lots of pepper (for added heat).
- Squeeze in fresh lemon juice and turn the prawns a couple of time for about 3 - 4 minutes. (see note 2)
- Prawns are cooked when they start to curl up (into a loose "C" shape), the flesh turns opaque and shells bright red.