Juicy, sticky, garlicky and best of all, using only 5 ingredients! These crowd-pleaser baked soy garlic chicken wings are solid side dishes to any meal and the perfect party appetiser. With plenty of sauce to go around!
Love a good finger-licking good sticky glaze? Also check out my flavour-packed Asian Pork Meatballs, another easy party food. For something more substantial, these Honey Soy Chicken Drumsticks are the solution to a fuss-free weeknight dinner!
- Brown sugar is preferred over white due to its molasses content, making the wings super yum. Substitute: honey
- Oil a little oil will help the wings to blister nicely in the oven when baking.
- Soy sauce is the key ingredient here to add a tone of umami flavour to the chicken wings!
Step by step instructions
Just 5 minutes of preparation time, these sticky garlic soy chicken wings are incredibly simple to make!
Nowadays you can easily find pre-marinated chicken wings at major supermarkets. But you know what, nothing beats homemade marinades. The flavour is always richer. Plus, this marinade recipe is super easy!
The key to juicy and flavour-packed wings is making sure you allow at least 30 minutes (ideally overnight for best results!) of marinating time.
To marinate the chicken wings, combine marinade ingredients then mix through chicken wings. Cover and pop it in the fridge to marinate.
About 15 minutes before you're ready to bake, take the chicken wings out of the fridge to bring it up to room temperature. This will allow even cooking.
When grilling, place the tray on the top shelf of the oven, as close to the grill as possible. This will help blister, lightly char the chicken wings and at the same time, reduce and thicken the sauce. Therefore, more flavour. The deeper the colour, the richer the flavour.
Just be mindful to not leave the wings under the grill/broiler for too long as this can overcook the wings which can dry out and lose its juiciness!
To make your life easier, line the baking tray with baking paper. This save you from having to scrub stubborn bits off the tray.
Tips for making this perfect every time
- Marinate the chicken wings for at least 30 minutes to get all the flavours into the wings. The longer the better, overnight would be perfect.
- Take the wings out of the fridge 15-20 minutes before baking to allow the wings to come up to room temperature. This will allow even cooking.
- Bake the wings in a single layer on the baking tray. Never overlap to ensure the skins get evenly blistered and lightly charred.
- Baste the wings after 15 minutes to get as much flavour onto the skin as possible. This is key to getting the sticky sauce to stick onto the wings!
- Use high-quality soy sauce for a richer, more intense umami (savoury) flavour!
- If in doubt, more garlic. This recipe calls for 5 cloves of garlic but cloves vary in size so if in doubt, more garlic is always a good idea!
If you're feeling fancy, sprinkle these mouthwatering sticky garlic soy chicken wings with sesame seeds and finely sliced spring onions for garnish. Non-negotiable if you're entertaining or cooking to impress 😉
Good to know (FAQs)
Yes! This step is very important to ensure the skin on both sides blisters and get lightly charred. This will help add more flavour to the chicken wings!
Ideally overnight, otherwise, up to 2 days (48 hours).
Cooked chicken wings will last up to 4 days in the fridge. Up to 6 months in the freezer, stored in an airtight container.
Made this recipe? Let me know your thoughts or questions by dropping a note in the comments section below! I'd love to hear from you 🙂
Enjoy, and don't forget the napkins! - Gen
Soy Garlic Chicken Wings
- 1 kg /2lbs chicken wings
Chicken wings marinade
- 5 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar or honey
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon oil canola, sunflower, olive oil are all okay
To serve (optional)
- sesame seeds
- green onions finely sliced
- In a large bowl, combine chicken wings marinade ingredients then mix in chicken wings.
- Cover and place in the fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes. (note 1)
- 15 to 20 minutes before you're ready to cook, take the wings out of the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature. (note 2) Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220°C/430°F (200°C/400°F fan-forced).
- With a pair of tongs, place wings onto a lined baking tray in a single layer (no overlapping) and bake for 15 minutes on the middle shelf of the oven. Reserve excess marinade.
- Take the wings out of the oven, baste with reserved marinade. Place wings back into the oven, change oven setting to grill/broil on high (or 230°C/450°F) and grill for 5 minutes on the top shelf. (note 3)
- Take the wings out of the oven again, turn wings over and grill for 5 more minutes or until the chicken skins blister and lightly charred.
- Serve immediately.